Design and art at St Andrew’s
Over the years the people of St Andrews have sought to beautify the church buildings as a place in which God’s gifts of creativity are celebrated in thanksgiving and offering.
In its earliest years much was given by individuals in memory of loved ones and in thanksgiving to God for their lives, thus the stained glass windows. In a second phase at the turn of the 20th century, the chancel was decorated and the rood beam installed. The stations of the cross seem to have been given in the 1920’s. A third phase took place in the early years of the 21st cent with the reordering of St Andrew’s. Our hope is to continue in this tradition.
The Kite – Guido de Costanzo (2010)
The icon called the Kite is raised high up against the panelled glass. It was created by the artist Guido de Costanzo from layers of white and yellow gold with lapis lazuli and the artist describes his figure of Christ crucified and risen as ‘flying on a kite with arms outstretched as if to embrace humanity.’ The icon was very generously donated by a benefactor in the congregation and by the artist. A full interview with the artist is published in his website.
The font – Anna Sikorska (2010)
Created by Anna Sikorska from black Kilkenny limestone, polished in the bowl and rough externally, the font stands on a quartered and reversed section of yew tree trunk. The stone bowl stands on four blocks of light yew which form a cross-shaped void through which the water falls to drain away. It was blessed by the Bishop of Kensington at a special service on February 6. Anna was the winner of the Michaelhouse award.
The glass west wall (2010)
The west end of the church consists of a clear glass screen from rafters to floor and represents the inter relationship of sacred and secular space: both transparent to the other; separated to emphasise their distinctiveness, but also inter connected. It is a spellbound example that contemporary architecture within a religious setting works. This functional spectacle can be seen immediately after you come into the church.
Virgin and Child of St Andrew’s Fulham – Paulo Tercio (2012)
Paulo Tercio experienced a vision in October 2008 during Sunday Holy Communion in the church. Faithful to that event he created this oil painting using the video material he had recorded. The icon is on permanent display at The Lady Chapel. In November 2013 a collaboration was formalised between St Andrew’s, Campbell’s of London and the artist with a view to help raise funds for the church’s homeless project. This work shows the virgin sporting an exquisite orchid and the child whose halo has yet to reach its full iridescence; he casts a sideways, quizzical, glance at his mother as if he already knew what life held in store for him. The scene seems to be watched over by two larger and darker forces.
Votive candle stand – Anna Sikorska (2008)
In the Lady chapel is the votive candle by Anna Sikorska made with the children during Children’s Church on the 15th June 2008. Anna Sikorska lives and works in London. She studied for a BA in Fine Art at the Slade School of Fine Art, UCL, London and completed an MA in Sculpture at the Royal College of Art, London. She has exhibited in many group and solo exhibitions.
Stations of the cross (1927)
Around the walls are the thirteen traditional ‘stations of the cross’ showing the journey of Jesus from his trial to his crucifixion and burial. They were given to St Andrew’s in 1927 from a convent in Kilburn.
The war memorial (1922)
The war memorial (north transept) made from a bronze tablet is mounted and surrounded by oak panelling by Scott Cockrill. The memorial is dedicated to the Glory of God and in memory of the officers and men from the parish who died in the Great War 1914-1918.
Choir stalls (1902)
The choir stalls were newly installed in 1902 to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII followed by a new oak pulpit in 1903. Forrester designed these as well as the mosaic decoration on the east wall. The irregular painted ceramic tiles of green, red and gold mosaic is inscribed with the theme of intercession.
Mosaic decoration on east wall (1902)
In 1902 the reredos decoration was continued upwards in new work designed by Forrester and executed by Messrs Powell. The parish magazine described the ‘scroll work’ as opus sectile, ‘that is, in larger sections of mosaic put together in a large puzzle’; these look like irregular painted ceramic tiles. The rest of the wall is covered in green.
The altar was the gift of William H Gibbs as a memorial to his daughter Rosa Adeline (1874-97). It is of Derbyshire alabaster, with a Sicilian marble slab top and base and jambs of solid Devonshire marble. Five bays on clustered columns cusped with winged cherub and spandrels embellished with roses decorate its front panel.
The reredos (1900)
The reredos and central figure of Christ, are of Caen stone and lapis lazuli mosaic encompasses the whole width of the East wall. The central figure of Christ is also in Caen stone. The carving of Christ’s robe was supervised for correctness by Rev S W E Bird, Rector of St Sidwell, Exeter. The figures are supported by a squat arch resting on angel corbels, with crockets decorated with emblems of the Passion.
Rood and beam (1897)
Rood and beam designed by Aston Webb is of Californian sequoia erected to celebrate the 60th jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. Christ crucified is flanked by St John and Mary. The beam is supported by 2 stone angel corbels bearing shields, one with the keys of St Peter, the other with St Andrew’s cross.
On the north aisle from the entrance is a pair of memorial windows from 1878 dedicated to E/F A Barnes depicting, first, Jesus found by Joseph and Mary discoursing with scribes in the Temple, and second, Mary and Martha with Jesus and Mary Magdalene repentant. The windows are dedicated ‘To the glory of God and in memory of John Herbert Cardwell died Whitsun 1890 aged 12 years’.
On the north side of the chancel is a single light of St Peter. In the north transept above the site of the present Baptistry is a memorial window to The Revd David Paget, Vicar 1988-2001 by Tim Clarkson and depicts a sheaf of corn and three bunches of grapes.
In the Lady Chapel is a notable east window “Restrained original arts and crafts work” consisting of three lights with: the Annunciation, Christ in Glory and the Adoration of the Shepherds with quartered coat of arms in the centre. The whole is set in stylized trellis work and is dedicated to Mrs Wright and her children and designed by Paul Woodroffe in 1902.In the south aisle are two lights: a knight and an angel inscribed: “A devout man and one that feared God.” Signed by Lovers and Westlake 1899.
In the cafe area in the former baptistry are three lights: in the centre leaves and roundels; and on either side, the Saviour “I am the Good Shepherd”; and Saint George: ‘I have fought the good fight’: in memory of 2Lt Daniel Spicer, RFC, killed in action Flanders 1917, aged 18. In the St Andrew’s Road entrance lobby, half obscured by the stairs, is a memorial window to Joseph and Eliza Calkin 1901, signed Lovers & Westlake: ‘He that dwelleth in Christ dwelleth in God’ and ‘Her children rise up and call her blessed’ is inscribed beneath, erected by their daughter and granddaughter 1901.
Next to the fire door left of this entrance are two lights with the inscription: ‘To the Glory of God in memory of Thomas and George Knapp and Reginald Humbly, infant sons of CS and AM Turner 1890.In the corner in the hallway: ‘Little children are brought unto Jesus: To the glory of God and in memory of Thomas Knapp, George Knapp and Reginald Hambly infant sons of CS and AM Turner (1890)’